Monday, January 13, 2014

Movie posters


This clip on Youtube inspired me to be more conscious about movie posters. Whereas before I'd hang my wall with my favourite movies, nowadays it feels like movie posters are so much more of an afterthought rather than an essential piece of art accompanying the movie. Perhaps I've also grown a tad too old for plastering my walls with them ;)

It's part of the fun to walk through the cinema checking out the posters and feeling compelled to watch a movie. I'd love for studios to start putting much more effort into this again.

I've got to thinking which movie posters just kick ass. It's far too easy to find examples of terrible movie posters (it's the majority). I feel like I might do more of these posts. Compiling the list below was really fun. 

Flipping through my IMDB watchlist, I just love these movie posters:

1. Band of Brothers

The artwork matches the theme of the series. Simple, effective and beautiful in the end. I guess silhouettes just kind of work for me. The artwork also works through in all the artwork for this show. Well done! While on the subject of silhouettes, The Exorcist also caught my attention:

2. Platoon
I mean, DAMN!

3. Kill Bill
Symbolic, powerful colors, well thought-over. I like.

4. Psycho
The sickening contrast, the colors, the font and letter art. Beautiful stuff. I'd hang this on my wall.

5. Dr. Strangelove
                                 
Well, first of all it's Kubrick. Probably this poster is chock full of obscure symbolism, references, implicit themes and all. But just look at it... JUST LOOK AT IT!

6. Mean Streets
Bad movie, fantastic artwork.

7. Grease
Awful movie, good poster actually!

8. L'Année Dernière à Marienbad

Art = Art. Turns out one of my all-time favorite movies has a great poster accompanying it. Beautiful!

9. The Blair Witch Project
As far as scary movies go, this is my scariest by far. Cool poster, though not the original one, as I remember the one with the girl looking scared into the camera as THE Blair Witch poster (you'll know it when you see it.

10. Walk the Line

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash!


Rounding up, you can also check out this really enjoyable website with alternative minimalist posters. Good stuff!





No comments:

Post a Comment